Thursday, May 29, 2014

May Extra Blog Post

Recently, I finished a TV series called Prison Break. When I first started watching this TV series, I thought it would just be a bunch murders and thieves trying to break out of prison. However, in the first few episodes, the main character, Michael, is a structural engineer. This is how I started to become more fond of this TV show, because I'm wondering how does a structural engineer break out his brother and a bunch of criminals out of prison. Since Michael was a structural engineer, before he went to prison, he already has knowledge of the entire structure of the prison because he looked into the blueprints of the prison. However, it's impossible for a single person to just memorize an entire blueprint. So before Michael goes to prison, he went to a tattoo shop and tattoos the blueprint of the prison onto his skin by camouflaging the blueprint using a drawing from the Sistine Chapel (I think). From this, Michael uses this blueprint as his advantage and he and his group of buddies later escape the prison.

Of course, I don't want to be a criminal, but I just never would have thought structural engineering would be useful in dire situations, especially in a prison. Anyways, I just wanted to show that having knowledge of building structures can be used in extreme situations and that I really like the show Prison Break.

Here's Michael, the main character of Prison Break.

No comments:

Post a Comment