Sunday, August 18, 2013

Summer Mentorship Component

Literal:  

1. (Know) Using google doc (drive) link a log of specific hours and a description of your duties 



2. What is the contact name & number of where you volunteered?       

Kevin Chen. 909-594-3836. dHA and Calpec is where I volunteered.


3. (Need to know) What questions were raised because of the 10 hours of experience?  List them.     

Besides meetings and working in the office, what other things do engineers do?
Which engineering field is the most demanding?
What type of engineer do I want to be?
Which engineer field is more focused on design?

Interpretive

4. What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?

The most important thing I learned from this experience is engineers (that design parts of buildings) check the work of the architects. I always believed that architects only designed the exterior of buildings, but they actually design the entire layout of the buildings. When I was asking my mentor about my confusion if I was drawing some building parts in the correct position, he told me that the engineers have to correct the architect's work because sometimes they don't know certain parts of buildings.

This is important for me because architects and engineers constantly work together on many building projects. This is also important because I'm not sure whether I want to pursue in architecture or engineering.

Applied
 
5. How did what you did help you choose a topic?  Please explain.


Mostly what I did in my mentorship was drafting the duct work of a building. The company that I was doing my mentorship is separated into two engineering departments: electrical engineering and mechanical engineering. My mentorship is in the mechanical engineering department, which is why my drafting was only related to mechanical engineering. So how did this help I chose a topic? I found that drafting parts for mechanical engineers was a little repetitive. I told my dad, who is a structure engineer, about this and he told me that in structure engineering, there more details to look at where as mechanical engineering is only focused on a few building parts. So I decided to choose structure engineering to see if this will spark my interest in the engineering filed.

No comments:

Post a Comment