Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Research and Working EQ


1.  What is your working EQ?

How can a structural engineer design a hospital that provides the best resistance towards earthquakes in California?

2.  What is a possible answer to your working EQ? Please write the answer in thesis format.  Examples:

Understanding the earthquake stresses that impact a hospital will help structural engineers create new building codes to designing better structures for hospitals in California.

3.  What is the most important source you have used that has helped you come up with an answer to your working EQ? 

The most important source that has helped me come with my answer to my working EQ is the book that my mentor, and the book given by my mentor, Building Construction Illustrated Second Edition.

4.  Who is your mentor, or where are you volunteering, and how does what you are doing relate to your working EQ?

 My mentor is Tzuoh-Jaw Wu, structural engineer associate. I volunteer at the company called, Kanda and Tso, and at home. Recently, I have been learning how to calculate loads and stresses. Loads and stresses relate to my working EQ because earthquakes causes stress around the foundation of the building, each structural element composed in a building has certain limits in the amount of load it can carry. By understanding the limitations of the amount load each structurally element can carry, I can understand how structural elements withstands earthquakes. I also been learning how to use the AutoCAD, which is a software that lets me design structural parts for buildings. Learning to design is important because I can create structural elements and I visually see where an earthquake would impact a building.

No comments:

Post a Comment