Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Roof Framing Design - Beam Calculation


My first assignment is to design a classroom of one story with steel framing. Before I start designing, there are a few tasks that I need to follow. Most of these tasks deal with calculating loads and the weight of building components. Today, I focused on the first task, which dealt with the roof frame design of the classroom.


These are duties I've been assigned to do during my mentorship






The small rectangular squares in the corners of the roof frame, represent the columns. These plans are not three dimensional because the view is above the roof frame. The unit measurements (between grid lines and A&B and 1-3) represents the spacing between the steel beams that will placed, horizontally, on top of the columns (this can be seen on the picture below).



This picture shows the measurements of each beam and the loads that impact the roof. The red squares represents the columns and the steel beams are the blue lines that have measurement W14X22. W is unit for the wide flange, which is the big hinges on the ends of the steel beams. The type of loads that affect the roof are dead loads and live loads. My mentor told me the measurements of each load and taught me how to calculate each load (it's also on this picture.)




This picture explains how to solve the amount of momentum that a typical steel beam can withstand. Since the loads are pushing down on the roof, the steel beams has it's own bending force resisting the dead loads and the live loads.







No comments:

Post a Comment